Saturday, October 13, 2012

life drawing 10/12

I'm taking Stephen Gaffney's life drawing class this semester, learning so much. Stephen pushes us into a way of thinking about drawing, where every line is free to be imperfect, but carefully and consciously made with the goal of being perfect. Does that make sense? Basically high focus, where every line is used to describe the form. The goal is to be able to make that perfectly descriptive line quickly with the energy you can only get from spontaneous reaction to what you see.

It forces you to be much more involved in the drawing process, but it can be very tiring to maintain that focus. I still fall to my old way of doing things, scratching and searching around until an image sort of emerges, with lots of unnecessary information, but I am having moments where I feel very connected to the line. It's helping so much with animation, since being able to make quick and confident drawings is so crucial for sleep schedules and keeping mental breakdowns at bay.

Here are some short drawings from my last class.






 fun fact: the last drawing on the right was done left-handed :)





No comments:

Post a Comment